20 December 2015

High Anxiety

Yesterday, because we are not going to be in town for Christmas itself, we had my in-laws over for lunch. We also managed to rope in a cousin, his wife and their two adorable daughters (6 and 4). Small children make everything more fun.

On Friday I was late home from work because I had to dash into the city to swap a gift and then got stuck in hideous traffic. I went to bed that night in a state of high anxiety because I felt completely underprepared. Gifts were ready and wrapped but I had really only half a clue as to what I was making for lunch.

Yesterday morning I sent Spouse off to the Fish Markets to buy cooked prawns and Sydney rock oysters. The gravlax (which I started on Wednesday night) was ready - so seafood was the first course with baguettes & butter. For main we had smoked duck salad with pickled cherries, a tiny boneless ham and a small turkey roll, with potato salad (with some of my home cured bacon) and green beans. Turned out I didn't have the wire rack for my wok to smoke the duck, so I made do with a bamboo steamer which is now somewhat charred, but did the job. My MIL made the pavlova - and just to make sure we didn't starve, brought some cheese for later.

We put the little marquee up in the backyard and feasted and had a lovely afternoon.

I need to remind myself that I always end up managing somehow and shouldn't get so strung out in advance ...

Now that's done, I have to clean up and pack my bag, because we're off to Tasmania on a 6am flight (truth) on Tuesday and I'm at work tomorrow (Monday). Once we're there, the planning of the next feast begins.

At some point, I'm hoping to put my feet up, grab a book and switch off the world. Our friends' property in Tassie is about the best place to do that, once I've cooked Christmas dinner and run a tie-dye and candlemaking workshop with their little girls (8 and 6) ...

2 comments:

materfamilias said...

That is a lesson I'm still trying to learn. Even as experience assures me that there have been many more successful whatever's than disasters in my life--at least if I adjust my definitions enough-- I continue to fret, especially before entertaining and before travel. Your meal sounds absolutely scrumptious! I've missed your wonderful descriptions of menus and dishes and recipes. I hope all goes smoothly between now and Tuesday and that you, your family, and your friends have a splendid Christmas together with lots of rest and reading time for you.

Tiffany said...

Yes, Mater, I fear I may never truly learn the lesson - it just seems to be my modus operandi. It's now Monday, I'm at work with very little to do except worry about all the things undone at home. But I will just keep reminding myself that we will get there - so long as we have people lined up to feed the pets, there's nothing else that can't keep ... I hope you have a wonderful Christmas too!