14 March 2010

Saturday Night Fever

Last night the youngest member of the family was off at a sleepover, so it was just the three of us for dinner. The boys were not very helpful when it came to cooking suggestions - Andrew said 'pork'; Holden said 'whatever'.

So I made jambalaya. I haven't made it before but I found a recipe that looked good, so off I went. There may have been a bit too much cayenne for Holden's enjoyment, but Andrew and I both had second helpings (and then I had some for breakfast!). While it was doing its thing on the stove, I also poached some peaches so we had those with ice cream for dessert.

I get really annoyed with the way so much stone fruit is sold unripe - but even nasty hard peaches and nectarines can be delicious poached in a vanilla syrup with a dash of white wine.

Next Saturday night we are hosting a games night. Yes, I know, it's very nerdy, but it's also a very entertaining way to spend an evening with people who also enjoy playing with words. I am trying to come up with a menu - food for about 10 people, that I can prepare in advance and that won't distract everyone too much from the main point of the evening ...

1 comment:

materfamilias said...

Jambalaya, mmmm! My husband used to make it quite regularly, but somehow it's fallen off the menu and it's been years and years. . . Time to dig out that cookbook, I think, and thanks for the inspiration. The peaches would be a great finish to that meal -- agree with you absolutely about having to buy fruit green and then hope it might ripen nicely.