16 May 2011

Shop Girl



I've been keeping an eye out for a trench coat. Of course I want a Burberry but my cashflow is not so keen. Occasionally I try a trench on, but I haven't found the right one just yet. On Friday afternoon, I wandered into a shop and browsed through for a bit, before picking up a hanger with a trench on it, planning to try it on. At that point the shop assistant bustled over to me and said, 'Oh, yes, the shorter trench is what 85% of our customers are buying'. I put it back and walked out of the shop, without trying it on.

So, obviously enough, if I buy any item of clothing from a chain store, there are going to be plenty of other women out there wearing the same thing. But do I WANT to be told that 85% of people make the same choice? Does anyone? I don't think so. She could have said to me 'Oh, yes, the shorter trench is a good choice if you're petite' (which would have mildly annoyed me but not made me stomp out). A shop that can't be bothered to train its staff properly doesn't deserve my hard-earned cash. (On the positive, I have to say that (electronic) customer service from The Outnet is fantastic.)

And Blogger ate some earlier posts, but I can't be bothered reinstating them. Not much excitement in this neck of the woods. 

2 comments:

materfamilias said...

This post didn't make it to the reader feed, probably with that Blogger mess-up last week.
I agree absolutely -- why, why, why would I want something that is on every other woman down the road, even if it is a classic. Retailers really could work harder to educate their staff -- and maybe pay them decently to reward those who love their jobs and do them well.

Tiffany said...

I'm glad you don't think I'm just being a princess about this! Agree re training and decent pay too ...