23 December 2007

A Christmas Carol


There has been controversy raging around our Christmas tree this year. First, I suggested to Holden that we might get an artifical tree. Outrage! (Holden likes things to STAY THE SAME. ALWAYS. AND FOREVER.)

So then I decorated the (live) tree the way I wanted. Lights, gold baubles and clear glass balls. Andrew accused it of looking like a RETAIL tree. He said it wasn't ugly enough to belong in a house with children. Now it has two red felt stockings on.

Then I also decided that I was tired of pretty wrapping paper being ripped and going in the bin. I have wrapped everything (bar one or two things wrapped in cheery leftovers) in brown kraft paper, and used pretty ribbon ... (which I can recycle). OTHER PEOPLE (ie not Andrew) think it looks nice.

The gravlax is doing its thing in the fridge, the final batch of cranberry cookies for the neighbours is baking (it's not because I'm nice, it's because I like to make them feel guilty about complaining about children having fun on the street), and I've edited 200 pages of a book. I think that counts as a productive weekend.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

For the record.

I don't think this is very fair. I did say it looked like a "retail" tree without tinsel, but i never said it was ugly.

It is a beautiful tree that even DJs couldn't match.

Unknown said...

A lovely tree indeed. The Simpson family is all here as says Merry Christmas. Tiff, Andrew (my brother) brought over with him my Interscol of 82-83 that he had for some reason and it had a whole page that you had written to me (unlike you! he he). It bought back a lot of memories. Do you remember what the significance of April 2nd is???