08 April 2011

Up

I can't help it. Like everybody else, it seems, I've been suckered into buying a copy of Ines de la Fressange's Parisian Chic.



Living where I do, and Amazon being what it is, I'll get it some time next month, by which time I will probably have seen most of it online and be sick to death of it.

Already, I'm wondering why I felt such a strong compulsion to buy it. I don't find it hard to resist fashion magazines. I don't believe that there is one 'formula' that will make each and every one of us suddenly chic. And yet here I am, buying into the seductive myth ...

If I just buy this book, get the right pair of white jeans (so practical when you live with children, dogs and cats), the right navy cashmere sweater (forget that navy doesn't suit me) and the right ballet flats, I too will look like a tall, thin, glamorous French model with amazingly long legs. Or her 17-year-old daughter. Except I won't, will I? I'll look like me in jeans and a jumper.

I have been known to say I'd like to be Ines when I grow up. Up is probably the operative word. At 5'4", the best I'm ever going to manage is gamine ... Is there even such thing as a grown-up gamine?

11 comments:

That's Not My Age said...

Yes, the chic factor depends on the individual, you're right there isn't a universal formula, but I do like the book - and hope you do too. Maybe there is such a thing as grown-up gamine - I'm trying to think of a suitable example...Halle Berry?

We'd all like to be like Ines when we grow up!

Tiffany said...

Thanks, TNMA - the fact that you and some of my other favourite bloggers enjoyed it reassures me that I won't think it was a total waste of cash.

Halle Berry? Too hourglassy for gamine maybe ... I'm now officially on the hunt for grown-up gamine!

Mardel said...

Gee, I would have said Ines is grown up gamine. But I agree there is no universal formula and it is the individual bits that help the individual to shine through.

That's Not My Age said...

Tiffany, grown-up gamine has been bothering me all day! And you're right about Halle Berry, she is quite hourglassy - I was just thinking about when she had the boyish crop. What about Tilda Swinton? Or Erin O'Connor?

Tiffany said...

Mardel, you're absolutely right, of course - but she's so TALL! That's my issue - I'm not tall, so I need to find adult gamine in a form that would work for me :)

TNMA, I think Tilda is her own style altogether - and completely fabulous. Again, though, she's tall! Likewise Erin O'Connor ...

I guess the whole point is I have to work it out for myself - short grown-up gamine! I was wondering about Audrey, but she went from gamine to Lady, didn't she? That's definitely beyond me.

materfamilias said...

I'm 5'4 with curls -- even less chance of emulating IdlF. And I wear leggings occasionally. Still, a girl can hope, and although I suspect the book will irritate in spots, I will at least thumb through it at some point. (I'd be gamine too, but I'd have to lose weight first, I suspect)

Weird in edgewise said...

I say 5'4" is practically perfect in every way!

Tiffany said...

Mater and OWW, thanks for the 5'4" support club! My official style goal - short, grown-up gamine ...

Rubi said...

I always wanted to be Jean Seberg in my youth, but my curves thwarted me. I still rocked the capris and mariniere, but I looked a little more like Bardot. I guess that's not such a bad trade-off.

Gina said...

I was sucked into the Parisian Chic vortex as well, and you know what? I greatly enjoyed the book. Navy doesn't suit me, but I could substitute with an olive sweater.

I don't even own jeans, so WHITE jeans are absolutely out of the question. I'm only 5'2", and I am not a skinny gal.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed the book. Her drawings made me giggle, and her dry take on everything from trends to beauty was enjoyable.

Tiffany said...

Rubi, I think I've got the Jean Seberg thing going on - I'm 'petite', with super-short hair. Trouble is, I'm also over 40 ... not sure if it still works!

Gina, I'm glad you enjoyed the book even if the style tips weren't ideal for you - by the sounds of it I will enjoy it too.