08 May 2011

Saturday Night Fever

I have been busy, bored/boring and a little melancholy. Dull, damp weather hasn't helped. But now the sun is out again, it's the weekend, and I only have TWO articles to finish by tonight. Oops, now I'm depressed again.

It's also Mothers' Day, so Kids 1 and 2 have been very nice to me, including making me an omelette for breakfast (Kid 1) and homemade fizzy lemonade to keep me cheery while working (Kid 2).

Last night we cooked chicken braised in white wine and cream, with roast spuds and green beans, followed by chocolate pots with whipped cream and salted toffee shards. Kid 2 snaffled the leftover egg whites from the choc pots to make meringues, all by itself.

Mid-week I had my hair cut. I had been toying with the idea of growing it - Lord knows why, as I have horrid hair - so it was well overdue. I've had it blonde for about a year now, so I decided to go darker (for winter?). The cut was fine, my normal super-short pixie. The colour is awful. It's a sort of nothing brown that doesn't quite cover up the previous blonde - it's insipid and ugly, all at the same time. I know I should probably just go back to that salon and say 'fix it', but I can't be bothered. Sometimes it's very tempting just to let it grow out, grey and all ...

Back to the grind.

3 comments:

Susan B said...

Oh, the hair. It's always such a dilemma.

What about throwing on a brighter temporary color to rev it up (and maybe try something different without commitment) until your next appointment?

And Happy Mothers' Day.

materfamilias said...

Hope the Mother's Day mood lasts and lifts you out of the ennui -- so sorry about the hair. I always count on my appointment as a pick-me-up and would be very annoyed if I had to go out unhappy AND live with a bad cut or colour for weeks and weeks. And yet I know what you mean about trying to carve out time for a re-do -- never mind dredge up the energy to make the argument. Still, you know you'll feel so much better if you make yourself do that, no?
Oh, and I forgot to comment, while travelling, on your comment re the Reginald Hill Cure for all Diseases -- until you mentioned the Janeites, I never saw that at all. And me a Lit. prof and all!

Tiffany said...

Pseu, that's exactly what I was thinking - I might put a temporary red through it!

Thanks, mater, still feeling cheery, especially since I managed to meet my deadlines. And I definitely have to do something about the hair! That's funny about Cure for all Diseases - sometimes we only see these things if looking for them, I think.