17 May 2011

The Social Network

pic from aceshowbiz.com
Kid 1 refers to himself as part of Generation i (lower case is important here). He spends a lot of time on a certain social networking site, often via his iPod at the same time as not watching telly with the rest of us. Occasionally I visit him there to see what he and his buddies are talking about - not stalking, exactly, just keeping an eye on him. He knows I do it.

It's usually typical teenage boy nonsense - youtube videos of great basketball shots, complaining about school/homework/exams, photos of them all pulling ridiculous faces ... Imagine my surprise when I came upon a long conversation between Kid and several of his friends, discussing the assassination of Bin Laden, the potential repercussions, the situation in the Middle East, etc. And all extremely earnest and rational. It may sound silly, but I found it altogether cheering. Just because he doesn't read books (which KILLS me) doesn't mean he's an ignorant, unengaged buffoon. Or not entirely.

PS. It was an excellent movie, I thought.

3 comments:

materfamilias said...

Keep meaning to see this movie -- thanks for the reminder.
Funny, I just got a glimpse at a FB conversation my son (almost 25) participated in urging young people to vote (our vote isn't mandatory, as yours is, and the youth vote is always an issue, especially in our last election). I was really impressed at how thoughtful, educated, and articulate he and his buddies had become. A few names I knew well from about your son's age and I was astounded at the progress they'd made, some who seemed more likely headed for unemployment lines than for political science degrees (although those two might be a bit too close for that comparison to work!).
Your son sounds thoughtful and bright despite being a non-reader (for now. My BIL scarcely read at all as a teen and young adult, but is now committed to our favourite sport).

That's Not My Age said...

Yes an excellent movie - even Justin Timberlake was good. Glad to see Kid is taking an interest in the real world!

Tiffany said...

Mater, it is so heartening, isn't it? Sometimes you wonder whether they are taking in what you hope to provide ... and then it turns out maybe they are! I have hopes Kid 1 will become a reader :) And see TNMA also agrees that it's a top movie!

TNMA: You're absolutely right, JT was great as Sean Parker.