19 August 2009

Death on the Nile


A very fortunate side effect (or possibly main effect) of the time I waste/spend perusing blogs about clothes is that I am learning to try on things that are unconvincing on the hanger.

I walked past a shop this morning and saw a top that looked vaguely interesting on the mannequin in the window. My mother (!) convinced me I should go inside and look at it, so I did, reluctantly. On the way to that top, we were both waylaid by a soft grey silk - the colour and texture, rather than the cut. I lifted the hanger from the rack, thought 'too formless' and put it back. Then we saw the same top in a gorgeous eau de nile. I still thought it was too sloppy looking for me, but the mother (again) had its way and I tried it on. It was perfect. I bought two (a black one as well, just because).

I should add that the shop in question is a chain that doesn't have much (if any) fashion cred and I will be snipping the labels out pronto. But I will also be wearing the tops a lot, whatever their provenance.

I learnt two lessons: don't judge a garment on the hanger and never go shopping with your mother.

3 comments:

Imogen Lamport, AICI CIP said...

Often the clothes that look bad on a hanger can look great on a 'normal' body (rather than a flat body that emulates a hanger).

Can you email me and let me know what the name of the Radio National show was that you were listening to about colour so I can download the podcast?

Thanks heaps!

materfamilias said...

Your mother sounds like a paragon what with the yummy cooking and the shopping-enabling! I love those kind of finds when you're not looking for anything but get surprised by something that just suits. And multiples, even better!

Tiffany said...

The thing about blogs, of course, is that they are highly selective in what they report ...