23 October 2008

Travels with my Aunt


I have four aunts, in no particular order.

1. The aunt who I used to argue with about making my bed every morning when I was staying with her (which I did whenever I was sad and lonely, which was quite often). I must tell her next time I speak to her that I would never dream of leaving my house in the morning (even to go to the studio) without making my bed first. Despite my domestic shortcomings, there was always a bed (made) for me.

2. The aunt who encouraged me to knit and showed me that being a parent was actually quite fun and hilarious, if sometimes exasperating. She also had (probably still does) a wonderful pantry shelf full of bottled fruit. I blame her for my obsession with preserving and other old-fashioned domestic pastimes.

3. The aunt who pandered to my teenage desire for vintage shoes by tracking down and posting me the most marvellous pair of suede and patent leather winklepickers. I wish I still had them. A couple of years back she sent me a delicious pink and white chenille bedspread. But best of all, she appeared in the first series of Doctor Who (she was Carol in The Sensorites series of episodes, above).

4. The aunt who can sew better than anyone I know, and who made sure that Phoebe was the most immaculately dressed premmie in the whole intensive care unit. Then she made her a beautiful little quilt with the spare fabric. And she remembers both my children's birthdays and makes them the most amazing cards.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

do I need to wait for my obituary before you write about the influence your mother had on your life?