11 December 2008

Sans Soleil

I refer, of course, to the weather, as well as that amazing film by Chris Marker. The weather is horrid.

I think I complain every year about not feeling very much in the Christmas spirit. This year is a particularly bad one. I haven't even made Christmas cards. This probably wouldn't be so bad if I had bought some instead, but I haven't done that either.

Perhaps I can whip myself up into a Christmas frenzy by listing what I have done thus far:

1. I did finish the numbers on the kids' advent stockings, so that's something, I suppose. I was very irritated to see similar ones on the cover of a magazine last month.


2. I have started making dresses for Andrew's nieces. Their mother will probably send them (the dresses, not the children) to Vinnies by the New Year, but I don't especially care.


3. I have wrapped the presents that we've organised so far, but not with much enthusiasm or creativity. The sideboard is a temporary holding space. They will go under the tree when we get it on Monday.


4. I have made 24 personalised gingerbread people for Phoebe's class. Phoebe and her friend Sisca made the labels.


5. I have attended the street Christmas drinks. Fortunately there is no photo.

6. I have put up the Christmas lights and a rather lame wreath. They are not worth photographing.

Nup, that hasn't worked. Maybe the list of what I HAVEN'T done will shame me into action:

1. I haven't finished my Christmas shopping, despite dragging the kids into town with me on Wednesday. I thought it might be fun. It wasn't.

2. I haven't made a gingerbread house.

3. I haven't FINISHED the niece dresses. Or started the nephew elephant.

4. I haven't finished the quilts I am making for the kids.

5. And I haven't made, bought or posted ANY Christmas cards.

In my defence, I have been working. A lot. On large and boring jobs. But hey, it's finance and I still HAVE work, so I should be grateful, right?

It is true. I am the bastard lovechild of The Grinch and Scrooge.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Am I Scrooge or the Grinch? However, your designing and handicraft skills definitely weren't inherited from me. The dresses look especially divine. You seem to have done an inordinate amount so far. Don't worry, there's still another 12 days to Christmas!