12 May 2009

The Other Boleyn Girl

Phoebe is currently reading like a demon. She's in the third book of the lovely Dragonkeeper series, but also reading Roald Dahl on the side. It makes me so happy when one or other (or even both) of my kids are curled up reading, unable to extract themselves from a book.

I spent most of the weekend reading too. After pulling out of the house purchase - I freaked out and decided I cannot live somewhere I have to drive to get anything - I was struck down by a horrible cold. (I think Andrew thought it was justice. He doesn't like me right now.) So I spent Saturday afternoon and most of Sunday either in bed or on the couch, reading and blowing my nose. I read thoroughly engrossing historical fiction, otherwise known as 'good trash' (The Other Boleyn Girl), a somewhat disappointing follow-up to The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time (A Spot of Bother), finally finished The Book Thief (I don't know why it lost me a while back - I loved it when I went back to it) and restarted A Fraction of the Whole (which I was slightly overwhelmed by when I started it).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great book 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time' is. Alex reads a lot so I happened to pick it up after him. It started a lot of conversations that went 'What are you doing today?' 'Oh - some rocking and then I'll do some groaning for a while'

Tiffany said...

Yes, I absolutely LOVED 'The Curious Incident ...'. I guess it was inevitable that I wouldn't enjoy his next book as much.

Imogen Lamport, AICI CIP said...

I'm struggling to teach my eldest to read - if he could just look at not just the first letter but all the letters in the word we may get somewhere - I can't wait til he 'gets it'!

Tiffany said...

Oh yes, when they're learning to read it's exciting but also frustrating. My oldest learnt virtually without help - my youngest really struggled, but now she reads more than her brother! As they say, you just keep reading to them and with them ... I think a love of books is definitely inherited!