28 May 2009

Risky Business

Being a freelancer has its perks, as everyone knows - the flexibility of working 7 days a week if necessary; the excitement of wondering if you'll ever get another gig; the joys of clients changing their briefs after you've written a whole document exactly to brief ... Can you tell I'm feeling jaded today?

The thing I like least about being a freelancer is having to suck up to people. I just don't really do schmooze. And, in the big bad corporate world (and pretty much everywhere else), there are an awful lot of egos to be stroked. Work, I am happy to do. It's the peripheral stuff - flattering people into giving you the work and bending over backwards to make them feel good about themselves - that I am hopeless at.

I am having one of those days when I wish I could do something else for a living. Anything else, really ...

4 comments:

Imogen Lamport, AICI CIP said...

Tiffany - don't forget - if you worked for someone you'd have to suck up to people everyday - all the time - not just sometimes to get the gig!

Tiffany said...

Thanks Imogen, you're absolutely right. I have to remind myself of all the good things when the bad things are getting me down!

sallymandy said...

Thanks for the heartfelt and timely post. I'm with you on this one, in terms of wishing I had different work at the moment. I am an independent contractor, but I only have one contract--and the person I work for with that one treats me as his own personal work machine. Kind of struggling w/that right now.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Tiffany said...

Sallymandy, I know what you mean. It's a very particular set of frustrations that go along with being a contractor ... Hang in there!