08 September 2010

Blow-up


(pic from Warner Home Video)

Well, yesterday's photo shoot was an interesting experience. I'd forgotten (or blocked out?) that we were having full body shots as well as close-ups, so I wore a pair of pants that really aren't a great fit, too loose and not very flattering. I wore them because they're the right colour to wear with my camelhair jacket, but looking at the photos on screen afterwards made me decide that those pants Have To Go. I should have worn my grey jeans. If I edit my wardrobe any further I'll have to walk around in a dressing gown every time I do laundry.

I don't like having my photograph taken at the best of times. Standing in studio lights, being instructed to cant, smile, cross arms, etc, was bizarre. Fortunately the photographer was a lovely man, and most understanding that none of us (bar our illustrious and somewhat egomaniacal editor) really wanted to be there.

In the next couple of days we will be sent the photos so that we can choose which will appear in the mag and on our website. I asked if I could have an avatar.

3 comments:

materfamilias said...

How seldom do I like the image the camera delivers of me! I've posted on exactly this today, yet, foolishly, I'm the one who most often subjects myself to the torture.
But it's as if we live with this shadow self, the possibility that our image will be frozen at any particular moment and used to express us -- and that judgemental eyes (especially our own) will find us wanting -- and that we should always be ready! Never wearing the top that gapes a bit, or the pants that are a bit too big or a bit too small, or the dress whose colour, we now realize, doesn't really do much for our complexion. Makes me want to scream, really. . .

I'm betting you look much better in that photo than you think you do, but I'm not sure that really should be the point. Seems there are better things we should be concerned with and I know my husband never dwells on this when he's photographed, yet I can't seem to help this being my firt reaction to most pics.

Sorry for going on and on. Done now. Have a lovely day . . .

Tiffany said...

Yes, mater, you're absolutely right - there are an awful lot of much more important things to worry about. My spouse sounds much like yours in this regard, and is always irritated by my avoidance of the camera! Perhaps - to be kinder on ourselves - it is almost a 'natural' reaction, given how women are conditioned to judge themselves (and others) so much on appearance. All the more reason to try not to react that way, I guess ...

materfamilias said...

Missing you . . .hope this is just a temporary hiatus . . .