03 September 2010

What Lies Beneath

I know some people are obsessed with underwear/lingerie. I'm somewhere in the middle - I would never wear non-matching bra & undies, but that's about the limit of my interest, most of the time.

A while back, I saw some very pretty underthings on someone's blog (can't remember which one) and I thought maybe it was about time I bought something with the emphasis on pretty rather than functional.

This morning, in my allocated 'you-may-spend-20-minutes-on-the-internet-before-you-start-working' time, I decided to check out the lingerie on net-a-porter.


I thought these were pretty. I almost choked on my tea at the price - (£247.83) and then I looked at the picture of the model wearing them. This is someone who is paid to look good in next-to-nothing and the underwear - to my mind - looks HORRID.




And these are adorable - but when on earth would I wear them? The matching bra is one of those ghastly 'half moon' things; the suggestion is to wear them with the matching cami for a 'boudoir pairing'.

So, is there such a thing as underwear that looks lovely by itself AND works under clothes? My fear of clothes shopping is second only to my fear of lingerie shopping - 'would you like a hand fitting that bra?' is, to my admittedly prudish self, one of the ickiest questions in the English language.

For now, it seems I will be sticking to practical undergarments.

3 comments:

materfamilias said...

While I can get overwhelmed in the lingerie section of a department store -- where I used to shop, preferring the greater potential for anonymity and non-commitment -- I have come to appreciate the benefits of a dedicated lingerie shop with well-trained assistants. I simply channel the spirit that got me through all those pregnancy/gynecological exams and manage to bypass prudishness -- altho' I would never consider a shop that didn't keep its dressing rooms and its windows far, far apart.

I don't mind paying for pretty bras and panties, but they have to be functional under a good variety of clothes -- so I'm generally in standard cuts but pretty colours, even prints, with attractive but not copious trim -- either lace or piping or whatever . . .

Mardel said...

I don't comment enough, and it seems odd to comment on this post but I'll just dive in.

I first saw your first picture on a reader, so the rest did not show up, and thought how nice to see something that looks pretty and wearable and not fussy, or at least that was my thought until I clicked through and saw the second shot. Oh well.

I tend to be rather shy about lingerie fitting but prefer and have to steel myself for the occasion, but agree with Materfamilias, that I've come to appreciate a good lingerie shop. But whatever I finally end up with has to be both pretty and very functional.

Tiffany said...

Thanks, Mater & Mardel, I think I'm going to have to steel myself also - that way maybe I can get something pretty and functional too!