31 January 2013

Mean Girls

But let's hope they're not.

Kid 2 started high school today, on the other side of the city. After 8 years of walking to school every morning, suddenly it's all different.

She was up at 5.45am - by the time I dragged myself out of bed at 6.15, she was showered, dressed and ready to go.

This is her on her first day of Kindergarten.


This is her on her first day of high school.


Excuse me while I go and wonder where the last 8 years went. 

On a less maudlin note, this is what we did on the houseboat.



2 comments:

materfamilias said...

What a precious time of parenting you're in the middle of! Challenging, of course, but so very rewarding. I remember it well. . . .And can I add that I'm so pleased to see a teen taking pleasure in a book -- I've been so frustrated recently at trying to teach university writing to students who read fewer than 10 books a year (~60%), many of my class fewer than 5 (~30%). I do wonder if we will gradually return to a split with a small (reading-writing) elite do very well and who knows what happens to the rest . . . To say nothing of the pleasures missed . . .

Tiffany said...

Mater, so very wise of you to pick the picture that was most meaningful to me. Spouse and I are such readers, and yet Kid 1 has to be forced to read. He did read 1984 over the hols, but mostly to show his father he could. Kid 2, bless, has to be taken to the public library regularly because I simply cannot afford to buy her enough books to keep her happy.

And, yes, I wonder also where this leads. Being able to read and understand and interpret text is, to me at least, such an integral part of the privilege of education, that I can't imagine a world without it, and yet so many young people seem to consider it redundant or uninteresting ...

Too long a comment already, but so much to ponder.