21 March 2013

Cocktail

Sometimes I struggle to work out what to wear. Not when I'm teaching or writing (in which case I could wear my yoga gear all day - but I don't), but when I have to go to a function. Last night there was a welcome dinner for new parents at Kid 2's school. The invitation said 'Business' attire, I assume because a lot of the parents would be coming straight from work. Well, I was also coming straight from work, but what I was wearing to work in definitely wasn't going to cut it.

I thought about wearing the sort of thing I'd wear to a client meeting - a dress, a blazer and heels. I even pulled such an outfit out of the wardrobe. But I just wasn't comfortable with it. So I grabbed my favourite ever jeans - black velvet skinnies - and my No 6 boots and a burgundy silk shirt. Possibly a little bit more rock n roll than 'business' but I felt like myself. Although I wouldn't say the evening was fun, exactly, the fact that I was comfortable in what I was wearing actually made me feel less socially awkward.

The next sartorial challenge is a cocktail party. I don't think jeans will do. Suggestions?

4 comments:

That's Not My Age said...

On days when I'm working from home I have that problem, usually when I have to go to a meeting or something, which inevitably ends up being a last-minute rush. And I live in jeans too -so a pair of heeled ankle boots & a tailored jacket always adds a bit of kick-ass style.

Tiffany said...

TNMA, isn't it great what a pair of boots will do? I always feel like Wonder Woman when I put mine on!

materfamilias said...

Nothing like a great pair of boots to convey some attitude. And I love the way your outfit exhibited some rock'n'roll but in elegant fabrics that softened that vibe. Perfection, when we find something that we feel comfortable in -- not the slouchy kind of comfortable but that magical bien dans notre peau

Tiffany said...

You're right, mater, it's the grown-up fabrics that made the outfit acceptable. I don't think I would have felt appropriate in denim jeans but the velvet worked. And bien dans ma peau is exactly how I felt ... Now to face the cocktail party hurdle :)