11 April 2013

(un)Happy Feet


Occasionally I treat myself to a manicure, which is generally a silly idea, given my tendency to indulge in cooking, gardening and teaching art to small children. As for pedicures, I normally do these myself. Forcing my horrible feet (not mine above) on strangers seems a little unkind.

However, a few weeks ago a friend gave me a spa voucher for a massage. Unfortunately, I cannot abide strangers touching my skin, so I swapped it for a pedicure, which is about as touchy-feely as I can manage. A very expensive pedicure, I might add.

So off I went yesterday, as a reward for finishing a job. Pedicure was done ('performed'?) like a spa treatment, complete with tedious whale music and dim lighting, and took about 3 times as long as they normally do. I expected my feet - or at least my toenails - to look gorgeous when I finally took off my eyemask.

Well. A blindfolded dipsomaniac with the DTs could have done a better job. Because I'm that sort of person, I couldn't actually bring myself to say to the girl 'this is shocking, how can you charge money for a job like this?', but I went straight home and took off the polish and deeply regretted that wasted hour of my life ...

The mani/pedi chains with the terse Chinese girls (Korean in the US?) may have the ambience of battery farms, but at least they do the job properly, for a decent price.

So, that's my First World Problem of the Week.

4 comments:

Susan B said...

Oh, I know what you mean!!! It seems the most posh pedis always look the worst. Here, depending on which part of town you're in, nail salons are primarily run by Vietnamese (West LA) or Korean (downtown) women who do a quick, efficient and excellent job for a pittance of what the fancy places charge.

Tiffany said...

It's not just me then! The fancy places are obviously charging for the posh ambience rather than the pedi ... I'll stick to the cheap and cheerful from now on, I think.

materfamilias said...

Oh, so sorry! I've treated myself to a massage recently (two! hours! heaven!) and got my first pedi of the season. Facial with my daughter coming up on Sunday. I'd hate to pay those prices and be disappointed. . .

Tiffany said...

Mater, I'm very glad to hear you're having some pampering - and how lovely to have a facial with your daughter.