08 May 2008

Home Alone

It's official. I am the World's Worst Mother. Today being Thursday, we all fell out the door at 7.30am, ready for the dash to before school care, offices and school. As I signed Phoebe into before school care, feeling quite cheerful that everyone was awake, washed, ironed, fed and with packed lunches, I said to one of the girls 'Her grandmother will pick her up this afternoon'. What I meant was 'Her grandmother will be picking her up from after school care'. What she thought I meant was 'She won't be coming to after school care because her grandmother will be picking her up from school'. So at 3.15pm, while I was in a meeting, I got a call from Phoebe's teacher to say 'um, is her grandmother picking her up?'. The mortification. Poor Phoebe will think I'm evil; poor Phoebe's teacher probably spent forever in the school playground thinking 'what the hell are these people doing?'; I get to spend the rest of my day feeling like a Bad Working Mother. Sigh.

No comments: