24 May 2008

La Grande Bouffe


La Grande Bouffe, conveniently enough, is not only a rather amusing film, but also our local French cafe/restaurant. Every year (this is the 11th, I think) we take Andrew's parents out for dinner for their birthdays (both of which fall in May). Over the years, this has included Tetsuya's (twice), Bistro Moncur, Claude's, the now defunct Restaurant Pepper and Three Clicks West, plus Soujourn and various others I obviously can't remember ... On Thursday, it was La Grande Bouffe.

I had an entree - after the complimentary garlic snails - of oysters with ham hock and potato, which sounds hideous and was fantastically good. Then for main I had the confit duck leg, also very, very delicious. And cheese for dessert. It's making me hungry just thinking about it.

I'm in a food mood (can you tell?), just about to cook a veal fillet with parmesan crust and mushroom sauce with soft polenta for dinner.

And I want to try some of the no-knead bread that's been doing the round of blogs here, there and everywhere. Oh, and it is also time for my annual Quince Paste Festival (in which I make lots of quince paste and then try to find people to give it to).

2 comments:

Jules said...

Tetsuya's TWICE?? Are you up there with Ralph as the only highly paid CBA employee ;)
BTW I LOOOVE quince paste!!! Hint hint

Tiffany said...

The trick is not to be a Bank employee at all ... No, not well-paid, we just love our food! And I didn't get the quince paste done on the weekend, but I will do so in the next week and promise to bring some in for you!