09 November 2008

High Art

On Friday night I went to the opening of the Balmain Art and Craft Show, a school fundraiser that has somehow assumed a life of its own and become a 'must attend' for those who live in Balmain (and those who wish they did, thus my attendance). It's where I found last year's birthday painting, so I was very keen to get along this year.

Unfortunately, as is often the case when one gets excited about a party, it wasn't really that thrilling. I got stuck with a parent who had quite possibly already had her quota of free beverages and wanted to chew my ear about school, and so while a couple of my friends went off to look at the indigenous art, I stood there looking sympathetic (and wishing I hadn't worn such high heels). Sigh.

But I did get a little something for Andrew. I have a brilliant and highly sophisticated way of buying art, guaranteed to make me rich - if I can imagine looking at it every day and being happy about that, then I think I should buy it. So rich in a metaphysical rather than a financial sense, I guess ...

No comments: