26 November 2008

Little Women


It was my birthday last week. I should have been teaching that day, but Holden was home with a stomach bug, and I had a mild dose of it myself, so I didn't go in, fearing I might infect the whole school. It wasn't the most exciting of days, but I was well enough by the evening to go out for dinner with spouse (thank goodness for THAT), which is always a Good Thing.

One of my presents was tickets for myself, Phoebe and my mother-in-law to go and see Little Women (the musical). I'm finding it hard to imagine Jo singing. Phoebe is going to LURV it.

I had 'drinks' for my birthday on Sunday afternoon, which was really just an excuse to cook things, mostly inspired by a recipe I found for salt cod empanadillas. Let me say that despite the 24-hour soaking of salt cod ('What is that hideous stuff, mum?') and the uncooperatively stretchy sherry and olive oil dough, they were DELICIOUS. I wish I had photographed them, but obviously I wasn't fast enough. The nibbles also included potato and roast capsicum tortilla, albondigas, tomatoes stuffed with paella and chorizo&prawns with smoked paprika mayonnaise, followed by mini tarts filled with dulche de leche and topped with sherry-spiked whipped cream.

Now I'm hungry again.

3 comments:

Wendy Hutton said...

OK, that's it! You're head chef for our Christmas holiday in NZ. I'm salivating at the thought of your salt cod empanadillas. Incidentally, I discovered when testing recipes for my Food of Love that much-cheaper Asian salted fish such as Ikan Mergui works even better than salted cod in recipes calling for this now endangered ingredient.

Tiffany said...

Hey, that's good to know, although I don't know about the availability of the Asian stuff here - have you noticed it?

Wendy said...

Yes, you can get Asian salted fish in that big supermarket I always go to in the complex on the old Paddy's market: is it Market City? The supermarket is on the first floor, with a butcher next door who understands Asian cuts of pork, and a good fish shop also.