05 June 2009

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil


It's been one of those weeks. When I've not been Working for the Man, I've been cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping and ferrying children around. And it's been raining, every day. I've been feeling uninspired, and wondering whether there shouldn't be more to life than the endless cycle of chores. I get to the end of the day, dying to go to sleep, and then think as I drift off 'oh, another bloody day tomorrow'. This is not a good way to wish one's life away, I know.

This morning the sun came out. On Monday it was the first day of winter, so this week also marked the beginning of the jonquils.

And so it was a lovely morning to head down to the community garden and let out the chickens. As always, I fed them, told them off for not laying me any eggs, then went for a wander around the garden. I picked herbs for a roast chicken tonight, admired some cabbages, checked to see if any of the oranges were ripe, and headed for the gate. On my way past a particularly overgrown commmunal plot, I caught a flash of red. The first week of winter, and sitting there, fat, lush and perfectly ripe, were four raspberries. I wish I'd taken my camera with me. Of course, I could have brought them home and photographed them, but we (couch-bound brother and I) ate them too quickly.

No comments: