28 July 2009

The House that Jack Built


Not so long ago, we failed to buy a house because I got cold feet about moving to the 'burbs. I'm not sure that I've been entirely forgiven for that.

So instead of buying a crazy rambling 70s house further away, we've now just bought half a house which is, and I am not joking, over the fence. It's diagonally behind the house we live in right now. If you look at the photo, the big gumtree at the right is in our current garden!

And by half a house, I mean a house that someone started rebuilding ... then gave up on. No kitchen, no bathroom, no floors (other than slab). I always said to Andrew that I didn't want to pay for someone else's idea of a perfect kitchen. Be careful what you wish for.

The plan is that we will stay here for six months while we finish the house, then move in. Taking into account six-week settlement, etc, we should be moving in March next year.

I've never built (or even half-built) a house before. Deep breath.

2 comments:

sallymandy said...

I like this house. It's very charming! Good luck with your project. It should make for some interesting stories. :)

Thanks for your recent visit to my blog. I always enjoy your comments. ♥

Tiffany said...

Thanks sallymandy! It's encouraging to have people say nice things. The interesting stories will probably start the day we get the keys (in about six weeks). In the meantime I am having fun scouring magazines and trying to find builders, etc!