27 July 2009

One Fine Day






Things in our lives are still a little topsy-turvy, but I'm trying to find time to stop and smell the roses (or any other flower that presents itself to me). The kids have probably had their least fun-filled school holidays to date, but last weekend we did manage to go on our planned camping expedition for Holden's birthday: four adults and nine children, swelling to nine adults and twelve children on Saturday afternoon.

The Basin is a magical spot, even in the middle of winter - wallabies (including a couple with joeys in pouches), kookaburras, brush turkeys, plovers, ducks and parrots everywhere. A couple of ticks and leeches too, but the less said about them the better. Only two other groups (one large, one tiny) were camping at the same time, so we had lots of room and lots of fun (and food).

I think my favourite thing about camping is that life is really reduced to the basics - cooking, eating, sleeping, looking at nature, walking, playing games (or not, in my case!), talking, occasionally reading. Even coming home to a mountain of laundry and a full inbox of work emails can't take that away!

1 comment:

materfamilias said...

I found this kind of simplicity in my daughter and granddaughter's recent visit -- Nola had to be held, changed, fed, watched, napped, and there was no point worrying about all the other items generally wrestling their way to my attention. Those elements are all in full view this week, but for last week, I firmly pushed them away and concentrated on what truly mattered.