03 March 2011

Flying High

We've finally managed to coordinate it - Spouse headed down to Melbourne at stupid o'clock this morning for work, and I am meeting him down there tomorrow (Friday). We're only staying the one night, returning Saturday late afternoon, but even so my poor mother-in-law's schedule looks like this: pick Kid 2 up from school at midday on Friday to take it to an audition; get from audition to pick Kid 1 up from Cadets and take it directly to its baseball semi-final on the other side of the city; Saturday morning take Kid 1 to its basketball game, then take Kid 2 to its sleepover (again crossing the city).

I'm sure I'll get over the guilt as soon as I get to the airport tomorrow morning. I first travelled by air when I was about three weeks old, and there was a lot of travel in my childhood, but I still get that little frisson of excitement and anticipation when I step into the airport and then onto the plane.

As I'm only there for about 24 hours, I don't think packing is going to be a challenge. The forecast tells me that Melbourne will be cool and grey tomorrow; pleasant if slightly cloudy on Saturday. It will be so exciting to be able to wear trousers and a jacket or cardigan!

We don't really have plans - strolling around, walking by the Yarra, checking out the Queen Victoria Markets, window shopping the boutiques (that will be me on Friday, before I meet Spouse), eating somewhere fun on Friday night, finding a cool wine bar. There's a permanent competition between Sydney and Melbourne about which city is 'cooler'. I'm betting Melbourne wins.

Right now I'm desperately trying to meet horror deadlines (what, did you say 5000 words of copy before COB?) ... Wish me luck ...

4 comments:

Susan B said...

Sounds like a lovely getaway. Have a wonderful time!

Tiffany said...

Thanks, Pseu. It's not exactly Rome, Florence, Venice and Paris, but it's a (mini) mini-break (as the Poms say), and any tiny escape from the routine is fun!

materfamilias said...

Oooh, practically a dirty weekend getaway, no? Sorry, can't help it, gotta add to the MIL guilt ;-)
Seriously, though, have a lovely time -- and I'm with you on that inability to feel jaded about flying -- same frisson here.

Tiffany said...

I'm sure that's what spouse is after, mater :) I'm just after a bit of a break!