14 March 2011

St Trinian's

On Friday morning, we took Kid 2 to the 'open' morning at her future high school. She was a little nervous. Like Kid 1 before her, she'll be going to a new school, without any of her primary school friends, so it was important for her to have a look around. And for us too. Kid 1 is the third generation on both sides to go to his school; we didn't have the same tradition to guide us with this one, but we hope we've made the right choice.

It's a girls' school with an emphasis on a broad liberal education, and, in its words, 'aims to develop girls who are confident, independent thinkers able to adapt and respond to challenges throughout their lives'. Fingers crossed. I went to co-ed schools myself, so I wonder how different a girls' school is ...

Afterwards there wasn't much point taking her back to current school (little gets done on a Friday afternoon). We skived and went on a little shopping jaunt instead. It's much more fun shopping for her than for myself. I could have bought her loads of clothes, but I try to instill in her the idea that it's better to have a few good things than an overflowing wardrobe. She was allowed to choose one item among the many we looked at, and picked a lovely soft cotton/cashmere top that I'd wear in a flash if it came in my size. Then we came home and did a wardrobe audit for her. How I'd love to try on all of my jeans and suddenly discover that although they still fit around the waist, they're all three inches too short!

And how quickly children grow up and away ... In my mind, Kid 2 will always be this evil munchkin, but high school is less than two years away.


3 comments:

Susan B said...

Oh, what an adorable picture!!! At times, I wish I'd gone to an all-girls school, might've had more guidance and direction toward college and a career path, but oh well. What a nice experience for the both of you, and you've planted the seed of good feelings about her future educational environment.

materfamilias said...

I went to an all-girls school for the first three years of high school (it came to the end of its 100+ years' history and closed, sadly) -- I loved a certain freedom there that I probably didn't fully recognize until I moved to a (huge) coed school after that.
Those mother-daughter jaunts are lovely, aren't they, when they go right? You're making me feel nostalgic . . .

Tiffany said...

Pseu and mater, one of the things that impressed me most about the school is that although they get very good academic results, they really encourage the girls to play to their individual strengths, whatever they may be. Kid 2 is a fey little creature, and I have often thought she might get trampled in a large co-ed school - I think this place will be a good fit for her.

And I agree, mater, the mother-daughter jaunt can be so much fun. My relationship with my daughter is so different to mine with my mother (deliberately), so I have to make it up as I go along. I know I have only a few years until the adolescent angst kicks in - I'm trying to make the most of it.