04 October 2011

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Still pretty much bed-bound, though my ankle seems to be improving. OK, so it's still huge and purple, but I can hop a few metres (on my other leg, of course) without agony. And I've been able to observe that hopping engages core muscles (obliques) - mine hurt!

Sadly, being crippled doesn't mean I can't work. But it does mean I can't do housework. This should be delightful, but actually I'm just dreading the chaos that awaits when I do surface ... Spouse is a reluctant nursemaid at best and his aspirations are even lower when it comes to domestic duties. Sigh.

Kid 2, bless, is trying to wait on me hand and foot.

After 24 hours of this, I am already totally sick of it. How long does it take to get bedsores? Tomorrow I am going to investigate crutches.

4 comments:

materfamilias said...

I didn't realize you had no crutches. Hope that's remedied by now. When I wrecked my ankle (broke the fibula) years ago, I was in a cast up to mid-thigh, but at least I could hobble 'round on the crutches. I would have gone stir-crazy otherwise.
And I know what you mean that the downtime is a mixed blessing. It's not as if housecleaning fairies are going to descend and keep all clean and organized while you heal. Still, take it easy as long as you can to speed up recovery.

Tiffany said...

Fortunately, it looks like I won't be needing the crutches. Although the ankle is horribly swollen and purple, I am hobbling around now ... As you say, the cleaning fairies failed to turn up, so I had to get out of bed :) I think a day flat on my back with the foot up did help.

Rubi said...

Going easy is the rule of the day where ankles are concerned, so I'd recommend more horizontal time.

And here's a suggestion, for what it's worth, from someone who is used to just "getting on with it." Ask for help. If your family and friends are also used to your just getting on with it, they'll often be (gratefully) surprised. I learned this myself when I had pneumonia and was living alone.

Hope you're feeling better soon, Tiffany!

Tiffany said...

Thanks, Rubi. Yes, I am definitely of the 'getting on with it' variety. I did invite my brother over the other evening to cook us dinner so that I didn't have to. As I feed him on average once a week, and have twice hosted him for several weeks when he's broken his ankle, I felt I could call on him for some help. But it doesn't come naturally to me ...