03 October 2011

Sense and Sensibility

It is very Jane Austen, is it not, to sprain an ankle? It sounds like such a ladylike injury.


Today Kid 2 and I set off to take Scout, the Big Dog, for a walk. Along the way we bumped into the father of Kid 2's best friend, also walking their dog. The dogs, big and small, hit it off and it was all quite jolly. Then, as I was strolling along, Scout barrelled into the back of my left leg and sent me crashing to the ground. After some swearing (but no crying, I must have been in shock) from me, we established that walking was out of the question, so Friend Dad went off to get his car and kindly got me home. I must say that being 'rescued' by a gentleman is more embarrassing than romantic. Although perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if it had been Alan Rickman (see above pic).

My ankle has now swollen to about three times its normal circumference. Handily, my FIL is a retired doctor, and very nice, so he popped round and had a look. Although there's obviously no major fracture, there may well be a small stress fracture, and there is probably some serious ligament damage. I will be going for x-rays tomorrow. He said I could potentially expect several weeks of 'bother' from it; my brother, who has busted an ankle twice, recommended crutches and opiates.

I hopped down the stairs to the bathroom a couple of hours ago (only two rooms in our house are on the same level, which I usually think is quite amusing) and almost passed out from the pain.

There are occasions on which I have fantasised about being bed-bound so that I could just read in peace. Careful what you wish for, indeed.

But, looking on the bright side, I have books, my Kindle, my iPhone and my netbook, so I'm not exactly isolated ... just a bit stuck.

2 comments:

materfamilias said...

I'm so sorry! I've suffered dog-induced injuries before and I've also done the ankle thing (broke my fibula many years ago). Lack of mobility is such a pain, but you need to maximize the potential benefit -- which you're already working toward with the reading material. Crossing my fingers for you that the x-rays point the way to a reasonable recovery, just enough down time to catch up on the titles on your TBR list.

Tiffany said...

Thanks, mater! It's much improved this morning, and I have high hopes that I'll be back to normal in just a few days, although I'm going to keep it elevated (working in bed :)) and try not to overdo it.