16 October 2011

How to Make an American Quilt


Years ago I chopped up a whole lot of old suits and jeans. I then chopped up some wool and some bright red corduroy. Some time later I sewed all the bits together, and then added plain black cotton for the border.

Then I stopped. My house is so impossibly tiny - and the animals so ubiquitous - that there was nowhere to lay it out and construct it. It sat in a Basket of Shame, with several other unfinished bits and pieces.

This year, I asked my MIL to get it finished (the sort of task she relishes, especially if she can find complications and obstacles). She sent it off somewhere and an aeon later it arrived back here, completed. Kid 1 would have preferred a new skateboard deck or an iTunes voucher for his birthday, I'm sure, but it does go rather well in his room, which features a lot of red.

7 comments:

That's Not My Age said...

Fantastic. There's a London fashion label called Junky Styling who make fabulous new garments (for both men & women) by re-using old suiting - so tell your son it's very fashionable, in a Junky Styling-inspired way!

Tiffany said...

Thanks, TNMA. I really like the idea of quilt tops being made from pre-loved fabric - as they were to begin with. If I weren't so busy/lazy/bad at sewing, I'd make more ...

Susan B said...

That's a very attractive quilt, and the very best kind of recycling!

Rubi said...

Mais non, dear Tiffany! It's not the Basket of Shame. It's the Dept. of Unfinished Projects.

And that's a very snazzy quilt! Love the red bits, especially...

Tiffany said...

Thanks Pseu! And Rubi, I will re-christen that basket (and a few others ...)

materfamilias said...

How cool is this! I love it -- and I think your son is v. lucky.

Tiffany said...

Thanks, mater! I think Kid 2 is largely underwhelmed, but I like to think he'll appreciate it one day ...