29 June 2009

Oranges are not the only fruit

I made marmalade on the weekend. This was slightly silly of me, as no one in my house eats marmalade except me, and I don't even eat it very often. I didn't photograph it as it's not pretty - it's dark and thick but delicious. That was about all the cooking I did for the weekend, but Andrew had a veritable culinary frenzy - osso buco on Saturday night and corned beef last night.

On Friday afternoon, I stopped in at the nearest Vinnies to see if there were any old desks (there weren't). As I was walking out, I spied a rack of clothes in an odd spot, near the cash register. Turns out, it was a rack of brand new stuff from great labels, like Akira, Max Mara, etc. Naturally enough, nothing fitted me, but I immediately spied things for one of my friends. I duly informed her and she rushed up there, leaving her father and son bored in the car, and bought two tops. I was very jealous.


She wore one of her new tops to another friend's farewell party yesterday; I also wore a new top, this one (not a very good picture) that I succumbed to online. It's a Moschino Cheap and Chic. Which got me thinking about definitions of 'cheap'. On sale, at 70% off (truly), I still felt a bit extravagant buying it. For goodness sake, it doesn't even have sleeves! The very lovely Imogen has said you should spend 5-10% of your income on clothes per year. I'd be lucky to fork out 2%. Maybe it's ME who's cheap ...


AND I wore these fabulous shoes which were recommended on another blog and I love love love them.

That's quite enough about clothes, I think. Can you tell that I'm not very interested in my work right now? Back to it ...

3 comments:

materfamilias said...

One of these years I'm going to make orange marmalade -- I certainly love to eat it! And coincidentally, I was just reading Peter Robinson's All the Colours of Darkness -- Inspector Banks is spreading grapefruit marmalade on his toast, and I think, "Oh, I should make some of that" and then I read your post and . . .
5-10% of one's income on clothes, eh? I think I'm off to do some math (I've always been bewildered by that Cheap and Chic label, by the way, which seems not to match its price tags at all)

Tiffany said...

Eating marmalade on toast is so very English, especially if one has a strong cup of tea to accompany it. One of life's little pleasures. And yes, Cheap and Chic is certainly a misnomer for that label!

sallymandy said...

I always love posts about clothes! And your marmalade sounds fab of course, too.

Five to ten percent of income on clothing? Wow. Would you like to have a contest to see who's cheapest?