22 December 2009

Big Fish

This morning I headed out the door at six thirty to buy a side of salmon from the Fish Markets. Sydney's Fish Markets are a bit of an institution (and conveniently very close to us) - on Christmas Eve, people queue for hours to buy their kilos of prawns and octopus and other wonderful fresh seafood. Fortunately, as it's still three days till Christmas, it wasn't actually crowded, so I managed to get there and back by about 7am. By 7.30 the gravlax was done and starting its three-day curing process.

There wasn't room for it in our existing fridge, so I walked up to the new house with it ... It could take us a long time to move house one dish at a time, I know.

The movers are booked for the 29th of December. That's exactly a week away. Boxes arrive today. I am already overwhelmed at the thought. It's been eight years since we last moved and I fear we have accumulated many, many more books in that time.

Although the new house is almost finished, the library won't be done until some time in January, so there will be dozens of boxes of books just sitting around. I never feel at home until my books are on shelves.

3 comments:

Susan B said...

Mmmmm....gravlax!

Good luck with the move. I hate moving, or even having my "nest" disrupted in any way.

materfamilias said...

I love gravlax!
I can't imagine the stress of that move combined with Christmas and in all that heat! But you can look forward to one day next year sitting in your beautiful new library, surrounded by your books -- can't wait to see pics of that!

Tiffany said...

I had you two picked as gravlax-lovers!

Yes, the move is going to be horrid - like you, Pseu, I hate disruption, and right now I have not one but TWO houses in chaos.

But I'm taking mater's advice and looking forward to the joy of settling in properly (one day) ...