09 December 2009

The Nightmare Before Christmas

I am not looking forward to Christmas this year. As my only family in Sydney is my brother, we spend every Christmas with Andrew's family. Much as I love them, I am getting a little weary of the ever-enlarging Christmas lunch - last year there were people there I didn't even know!

This year, again, we have to drive quite a long way, to share lunch with about 30 other people. To add insult to injury, my gravlax (which I make every year) has been rejected as the starter.

To soothe my cooking ego, I thought it would be nice to cook a Christmas Eve dinner in the new house, for just our family (and Andrew's parents and siblings ...). I planned gravlax for starters, followed by roast duck with pickled cherry sauce - and I'm still thinking about dessert.

Unfortunately, we have a plumber who simply fails to turn up, so at the moment it looks like the only thing I will cook in the new house for Christmas might be a cup of tea. This is significantly damping my Christmas spirits.

Perhaps if I bake up a storm of gifts for school this weekend I will regain my Christmas mojo ...

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Invite us to your Mary Street home and we'll be there!!! I can't decide which I want more, your gravlax or roast duck with cherries.Such a pity KK is so far and it cost so much to bring the children. I shall think of Chrstmases Past when we decorate the tree as soon as JF gets back from Phuket/