09 December 2009

The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants

A couple of days ago I got a call from a client I haven't worked with for a while. They have a new project coming up and want me to come in for a briefing. Time and place agreed for meeting - all good. Then yesterday I got an email saying 'By the way, the meeting place on Level 19 has a 'no jeans' dress policy'.

Well, I wasn't actually going to wear jeans anyway. I don't wear jeans to briefings. Call me old-fashioned.

But I did wonder how it works. I'm not staff, so do they have any right to tell me what to wear? What would happen if I did turn up at Level 19 wearing jeans? Are there bouncers or door bitches? Even better, is there a denim sensor in the lift? Would I be shown out the door for being inappropriately attired? It's almost tempting to give it a go ...

3 comments:

Christina Lee said...

LOL!! good questions!!

materfamilias said...

I was similarly tempted by a wedding invitation a few years ago. The wedding was at one of those pretentious golf clubs that aim at looking "old money" but give themselves away, imho, with their admonitions, in the form of wedding invitation inserts, to dress properly -- no denim allowed! Made me huffy on so many levels, and tempted. . .

Tiffany said...

I'm glad it's not just me who finds these things annoying - it was the double irritation of being TOLD what I can wear; and being assumed to be such an idiot that I'd be wearing jeans to a briefing in the first place!