25 February 2010

The Incredible Shrinking Woman

My new studio is an odd place. Or, I should say, my stable mates are odd. Actually, they're probably not odd at all, I'm just used to working alone, and I've never spent time with packs of photographers.

Anyway, one of them, a wedding photographer, came up to me today and said, quite unprovoked, 'You know, you're REALLY TINY'.

Mmmm. I've never learnt how to deal with this sort of comment. I tend to just say 'ah, yup' or something similarly inarticulate. I'm guessing if you replied 'Yeah, and you're really enormous', people wouldn't respond well.

'So tell me', she continued (they're persistent, these wedding people), 'Do you spend a lot of time at the gym or really watch what you eat?'.

Mostly, the fact that I'm a scrawny little creature is genes. Is this what she wanted to hear - or does it sound smug? If I said I was an egg-white-omelette-eating-gym-junkie (a complete lie), would that be better?

And I hate the word 'tiny' almost as much as the word 'petite'. Why are we supposed to feel better ourselves the SMALLER and less significant we are?

Oops, might be veering off into a rant.

On a more positive note, I did enjoy today's fashion shoot in the studio, which involved beautiful young men who paraded around shirtless for much of the day. One of them had classic sulky model demeanour; the other was positively chirpy.

3 comments:

materfamilias said...

Wow! That sounds really rude! Was she trying to get away with pretending she was paying you a compliment but really suggesting slyly that you were either bulimic/anorexic OR didn't know how to enjoy life? Or was she just doing the latter without much pretence?
Of course, tone is everything, and I wasn't there -- maybe she was sincerely curious and will soon become your new best friend. . .

Tiffany said...

Mater, I don't really know what she was implying - I think (I hope) she was just curious. Like a number of younger women I've met, she seems to assume (from other conversations) that we all just fall apart as soon as we have children. But, yes, whatever her motivation, it was startlingly rude!

Wendy said...

People who make remarks like this are not only rude but envious. Re egg white omelette, as result of making creme brulée for 6 the other night, I had stacks of egg whites left over so decided to try, for the first time, making the famous dieters' delight. I'm sure it was all very healthy but Bisou refused to eat it. A very spoiled dog who thinks, like me, that having gorgeous golden yolk is the sole reason for an egg's existence.