01 June 2011

In Her Shoes

Even before Ines decreed that loafers work on everyone, I was looking for the perfect pair. Honest. But  Church's were too big/wrong cut; Tod's too expensive; local versions cheap and shoddy looking. I have been biding my time.


And then, just the other day, I saw someone in the school playground wearing red loafers. Did I rush up and ask where she got them? No. Because (and how I hate to say this) They Looked Frumpy. It is possible that my opinion was coloured by the fact that I don't much like this particular person, but I don't think so. It's true she was wearing them with pants at an odd length (not a capri, not an ankle length ... a sort of 'I'm not sure how long I am supposed to be' length). And they were possibly a slightly clunky style of loafer. But still.

Was my Loafer Crush all wrong? I have remarkably stick-like ankles, so will they make me look like Olive Oyl or her middle-aged mother? Is the depressing truth that only Ines, Alexa and their ilk look good in loafers? And let's face it, after all, they look good in anything. (Although Alexa really should Do Something About Her Hair.)

Sigh.

2 comments:

materfamilias said...

It's funny, because since I commented on your earlier loafer post that I couldn't wear the look bare-legged with a skirt, I've been re-thinking. I do have a red pair that I absolutely fell in love with in a Paris window about 6 years ago and still love. They're a fairly slim penny-loafer with a pointed toe (but not sharply so) that I posted about a long, long while ago. The trouble with them, though, is that they're not sidewalk-worthy because the soles (and even the heels) are low-profile, quite thin -- very little cushioning OR support.
So maybe just keep looking and someday you'll find "the ones." After all, it's not a passing trend -- they've been around forever and will continue to be. . . . Check out Amidprivilege.com for some recommendations, maybe. Lisa's big on the loafer!

Tiffany said...

You're right, mater, I think I just have to be patient and wait until I find the right ones ...