27 June 2011

Love, Actually

Kid 1 is on school holidays, so hanging around the house mooching when not skateboarding. This afternoon he said to me 'Do you think Scout [the dog] actually loves us?'

'I'm not sure', I said. 'Maybe not love as we understand it, but certainly a feeling of belonging and loyalty'.

'But that's what love is, isn't it?' said Kid 1.

Clearly the hormones haven't kicked in yet. He will be 14 next week.

I think I have premature nostalgia. This line is from The Private Lives of Pippa Lee (Rebecca Miller): 'It was so lonely, knowing things about her children that they no longer remembered. Layers of experience eroded from their minds but petrified in her own.'

Best I go and do something vigorous and cheerful.

2 comments:

materfamilias said...

Especially after the wedding weekend I've had, this quotation resonates powerfully, stirring up layers of melancholia that I've so far been able to suppress. I must find that book!
Hope your (vigorous, cheerful) therapy worked.

Tiffany said...

I can only imagine your feelings at the moment ... I seem to have been like this ever since I had kids and I can see already that it's going to be terribly hard for me when they grow up and move on. I just remind myself to try to enjoy each day. I found that teaching small kids is exactly the right type of therapy - exhausting and cheering at the same time! Looking forward to hearing all about the wedding weekend.