30 January 2010

Animal Farm

A few weeks before Christmas our rabbit Cottontail died (we think from heat stroke, despite being free range and having plenty of shelter and water). At the same time, Flopsy (her buddy) was diagnosed with a tooth root abcess - we tried antibiotics but they didn't work, so she had to be put down.

Phoebe was heartbroken. Andrew consoled her with the prospect of chickens. Then he got it into his head that since we're in our own house now, we should have a puppy.

We already have Atticus (old, grumpy, remarkably clever rescue cat); Pepe (gormless, devoted Maltese cross rescue dog); and Harry (young, dumb, happy, pretty rescue kitten).

Today, Andrew and Phoebe went out to buy hardware and dinner ingredients - this is what they came home with.


Scout is another rescue animal. He is a Jack-a-Bee (Jack Russell Beagle cross) - supposedly - and the runt of the litter ... To me, he looks exactly like an anjin kampung from my childhood, which makes him just the right puppy for us.

And just because their uncles care, here are the human pets, ready for a big new year.


I am dealing with the concept of having a child in high school, when many of my friends have toddlers. I am thinking that this is mostly a very good thing.

2 comments:

Susan B said...

Adorable puppy! And the kids are precious.

Wendy said...

I am so touched and delighted at the photograph of my confident, clever and funny grandchildren. Congratulations on a job brilliantly done. And yes, I do think Scout is so adorable I would have snapped him up, even though I'm opposed to the idea of a second dog.