25 January 2010

Saturday Night Fever (5)

Since I am attempting to resume normal programming, I have also reinstituted the Saturday night Special Meal. Saturday just gone, it reached over 41 degrees Celcius in Sydney. Not much of a day for eating or cooking, really. More a day for lying on the floor, wishing for snow.

But I cooked anyway. I decided to make vitello tonnato, a classic that I have eaten many times but never cooked myself. I looked at various recipes - and believe me, there are LOTS! - and ended up with a bit of a cheat's version. Instead of braising the veal (for at least a couple of hours), you quickly sear and then roast it. The bit that appealed to me, however, was that the olive oil to make the mayonnaise that forms the basis of the sauce (keeping up?) was first infused with garlic and anchovies. Yum. And I love making mayonnaise - the magic of emulsion charms me every time.

Anyway, it was fantastic. But you know, it doesn't look that appealing in a picture, so I will spare you that.

Fortunately, a southerly buster came through late Saturday afternoon, and the dish is served cold or at room temperature, so by the evening, we were able to enjoy eating.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never eaten Veal Tonnato. While you were tucking into it on Sat. night, I was at a party and talking to someone who knew Marcella Hassan (The Classic Italian Cookbook) very well.Since we can't get veal here, I'm going to try making the dish with pork, although I think it will be hard to better Maiale el Latte.

materfamilias said...

I've never had that dish, but I agree with you on the magic of emulsion -- and I did make a garlic-infused mayonnaise last year for a big aioli summer feast. With anchovies would be even better. I should dig out a recipe for this and try to follow your lead -- our temperatures are better suited right now for this meal!