26 January 2010

Dog Day Afternoon

Today was Australia Day. I do love the place in many ways, but I abhor nationalism and jingoism, so I prefer to ignore the day and the celebrations associated with it.

Andrew has a fine tradition with old school and university friends of playing a cricket match every Australia Day, so Phoebe and I dropped the boys off there this morning - five minutes from our place - and then joined my brother for a swim at a nearby pool.

True, I have an Olympic size pool 300 metres down the street, but it's fun to venture two suburbs afield. My brother corrected my stroke (freestyle) and gave me tips and it was remarkably fun (note: I don't DO physical stuff except for yoga and a bit of running from time to time).

After swimming we went and watched the cricket for a couple of hours, then came home and were lazy. I am not used to doing nothing for more than five minutes - I think it could become addictive.

However, tomorrow Holden starts high school, so the lazy days of summer are well and truly over ...

No comments: