07 April 2010

Alice in Wonderland


This morning I had an extra chook duty, and duly stomped down in raincoat and clogs, to be rewarded by the sight of a giant patch of mushrooms in the paddock (for want of a better word) next to the community garden. I looked at them, walked around them, picked one, sniffed it, brought it home and did some research.

They are - and if you never hear from me again, you'll know I was wrong - horse mushrooms. So I went back this afternoon to pick some more. And while I was there, a very chivalrous gentleman from the community garden gave me radishes, chillis, snake beans and herbs from his patch. Aren't they pretty?


I shut down this blog for a couple of days while I had a think about it. I don't really blog about anything in particular, and my life is unexciting by most standards, so I was wondering whether there was any point. But over the last couple of days I have realised that what this blog gives me is a reason to be open to the little things that make up the good moments in a small life.

So, I will continue to blog. On Sundays, I will post photos and recipes of what I've cooked the night before. On Tuesdays, I will - for the family members who like to know - say something about the children or other domestic matters (warning - it could be more food) and include photos sometimes. And on Thursdays, I will indulge in random musings - maybe clothes, books, shoes, movies ... even yoga or knitting if the mood takes me.

And now I am off to cook the horse mushrooms.

2 comments:

materfamilias said...

Oh, I'm soooo glad you came to that conclusion -- I'd miss your blog if you shut it down!
I feel the same way about my blog and continue to revisit the question of whether to maintain it or not. But what keeps me going is exactly what you've pointed to -- it makes me see the richness in my everyday life. I often feel embarrassed by how banal my posts must seem to others and mortified when I think colleagues have come across it. But I do take pleasure from so many of life's simple offerings and the blog helps me do that. And your blog is one of those pleasures -- carry on. (otherwise, if we don't hear from you, we'll suspect the mushrooms!)

Tiffany said...

Thank you, mater, your comment means a lot to me! I love your blog precisely because it covers all the things that make up a life - and of course, I'm green with envy that you live on an island!