10 April 2010

Saturday Night Fever


Last night I didn't cook anything new or exciting. I have two good excuses, which I hereby proffer:

1. I have been sick (virus, not mushrooms) in bed for two days, eating nothing, and my food excitement levels are low.
2. I am hosting a baby shower for a friend today (Sunday), for which I had to spend all of Saturday preparing (I'm moving more slowly than normal), leaving little time for perusing recipes or cooking slow dinners.

On Tuesday I will post photos, etc of baby shower, but to the business at hand. We had an old standby, lentils with sausages.

Lentils with sausages (adapted from Australian Gourmet Traveller)

Olive oil
1 rasher medium bacon, finely chopped
1 each carrot, onion, celery stick, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 cup white wine
2 cups veal stock
200gm French/puy/blue lentils
1 tsp Dijon mustard
4 sprigs thyme
1 fresh bay leaf
4 fat pork sausages
Salt & pepper
Large handful flat leaf parsley, chopped

Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add bacon, vegetables and garlic and saute until soft. Add vinegar, wine, stock, lentils, mustard and herbs. Cook until lentils are tender.

Cook sausages separately, slice thickly and add to lentils. Season to taste, add parsley and serve.

This to me is comfort food of the highest order. Add a simple green salad, and maybe some crusty bread, and you're done.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Your sausage recipe sounds wonderful. Especially as I face eating nothing but bubor, tahu and noodles (no fruit, veg, yoghurt, coffee — how will I survive?)until Sat. morning, when I have a CT scan instead of a second colonoscopy. I think I'll die of boredom before the hunger gets me. I hope you're feeling much better after your virus infection.

materfamilias said...

Yum! I've finally managed to source Puy lentils and what a difference they make!

materfamilias said...

Blogger's really bugging me . . . okay, second try .. . Yumm! I've recently finally managed to source Puy lentils and they really do make a difference, texture-wise. This looks like a good recipe to try them in.

Tiffany said...

Yes, mater, puy lentils make all the difference. I was trying to explain this to spouse (who went off to buy supplies) and I realised that the key difference is that they don't disintegrate into a puree the way other lentils do when you cook them for any length of time.