20 April 2010

The Wedding Planner

The other day, as he was eating his way through the last of the baby shower food, one of my best friends said to me, 'You know, you should do this for a living' - meaning I should plan and cater parties.

I disagreed with him. If I had to try to make a living doing it, it would drive me insane very quickly. I'd argue with all my clients. I'd insist that all party food must include choux pastry somewhere in the menu. I'd overdo the savouries and underdo the sweets. I'd roll my eyes at people's choices.

So I'll just stick to my usual strategy - as soon as anybody I know is having a party, I put up my hand and say 'can I do the food?'.

My mother-in-law is having a significant birthday next month and my sister-in-law has finally managed to bully her into having a small celebration. And I, of course, am doing the food - canapes for 30 people. Absolutely my idea of bliss!

God forbid that my children should one day grow up and get married. I'll be Mother of the Bride From Hell, not to mention Mother of the Groom ...

3 comments:

materfamilias said...

Wow! We don't even get volunteer-age like that from my daughter and her partner, both trained cooks. another daughter, though, has a friend we love to invite to any family gathering because she can be depended on to bring the most amazing contributions, usually desserts (well, we also invite her just because she's fun, but you know what I mean . . .).
Your family and friends are very lucky and I bet they really appreciate you (and your food!)

Wendy said...

Is Barbara's "significant birthday" the big tujuhpuluh? Wish I could be there to eat your yummy food.luv from the Mother-in-law from Hell.

Tiffany said...

I think the key here, mater, is that the trained cooks probably have way too much of it!

And Ma, yes, Barb is the same age as you ... You can't sign off as MIL from Hell because you're not my MIL and this is not Andrew's blog :)