01 April 2010

Cheaper by the Dozen

My mother complained recently that I never mention my children anymore. And there was me thinking that there could be a teeny part of my life that wasn't absorbed by the all-devouring offspring. Apparently not.

Kid 1 just had camp, which he described dismissively as 'not the best camp'. The major complaint was 'food was awful and not enough of it' (very wrong to underfeed voracious pre-adolescent boys), followed by 'there was too much free time'. Imagine having too much free time ...

Kid 2 - at the same time Kid 1 was off at camp - was invited to a 3-day workshop for children who are 'gifted and talented' in the arts. In our school this translated to children whose parents put a lot of time and energy into the school. The culmination of the workshop was a performance last night, incorporating dance, choir, band and drama, which was surprisingly polished and impressive. Muppet is still singing.

Both Kids are now officially on school holidays. My studio space will languish while I try to work from my desk in the garage and vaguely supervise the minors.

Despite my tone, I enjoy having them around when it's holidays. Or maybe I just enjoy not packing lunches every morning.

2 comments:

Susan B said...

I know what you mean about adolescent boys and food...mine is *constantly* voracious, and "eats like a lumberjack." Can't believe how much he eats and is still a string bean.

Wendy said...

Thanks for the update!