10 November 2010

Breakfast at Tiffany's

The big day did finally arrive. Poor Spouse was up at 4am (yeah, and me too, although I didn't get out of bed) to get psyched and get down to the Staten Island Ferry for 5.30am (Lordy). Unfortunately, he didn't get the run he wanted, but that's his story, here.

I planned to head uptown, do a little shopping, then get to around 100th (East Side) to cheer. I didn't realised things open so late here on Sunday - there I was outside Tiffany's shortly after 10am, ready to buy a little something for Kid 2, and it wasn't open. In retrospect, this was probably a good thing. I'm not sure I wanted to be where I ended up, carrying a Tiffany's bag.

So, on the subway, up to 103rd. Very different. I walked east to 1st Ave. It was the first time since we've been here that I've felt uncomfortable. With my ultra-white skin and very (albeit fake) blonde hair, I stuck out like a sore thumb. I got a lot of 'hello, beautiful' comments - definitely benign, but nevertheless a little disconcerting when walking quiet streets alone.

I made it to 1st, where there were plenty of people. Then someone tried to hit on me while I was watching the race. Seriously. I couldn't work out whether he was really trying to hit on me, or perhaps had even less pleasant intentions. It was weird.

Obviously I lived to tell the tale, although once I'd seen Spouse at 19 miles I didn't much enjoy the walk back west to Central Park (again alone, again too many comments).

But once there ... wow. The vibe was amazing. Saw Spouse again, but he was struggling a bit by then. Anyway, I headed across the Park to our proposed meeting place around W 81st and loved it. We failed - thanks to delays with stuff, etc - to meet up, but were finally reunited at our apartment later in the afternoon. Another early dinner at a local diner, and Spouse was out for the count by about 6pm.

God, I'm exhausted by the recount. Sorry to be boring, but I need to jot this down or I will probably forget what we did ... There is slightly more excitement to come. Truly.

2 comments:

materfamilias said...

Sounds like a long, rather stressful day, but being part of that crowd must have been amazing. The other part, feeling alone and conspicuous, I wouldn't have liked. Twenty or so years ago, we took the subway out to the Bronx Zoo, and there was a long, long patch where we felt the same way, very out of place and noticeably so -- but at least there were the two of us. Like you, we never sensed the attention was particularly dangerous, but it still felt a bit alarming.
Looking forward to hearing the rest of your adventure.

Tiffany said...

Hi mater. Yes, sounds like you did indeed have a very similar experience. It's discomfiting ... But really, only moments in the whole time we've been here - the city is both safer and cleaner than I'd been led to believe.