12 November 2010

King Kong

It had to be done. Yesterday afternoon we went up the Empire State Building. I'm not good with heights, but I didn't feel scared - maybe too gobsmacked by the views. I did, however, feel awfully ill after about half an hour.

It's extraordinary to think it was built in just 14 months. My guess is the safety regulations weren't what they are these days. We got some cute cards with facts about famous buildings, but it didn't mention how many people died in the building of the Empire State ... funny that. But the buildings in New York are so spectacular now, imagine how impressive they were 80 years ago when they were built. No wonder this city has legendary status.

The rest of the day was another walking kind of a day, and we had dinner in a great little place just up on West 16th. I could live here. I think. I'm not sure about our menagerie of animals, and the kids might be a little confused, at first. But I think they'd get into it. Or not. Our latest plan (we always have a new one on the boil) is to come and live here for a couple of years when the kids have gone to university ... Ok, so maybe not. But we're definitely coming back for Spouse to run the 50th NYC Marathon as it will also be his 50th. I love a long-term plan.

4 comments:

Rubi said...

According to official records, only five people died during the building of the Empire State. Interestingly, a lot of the construction workers during New York City's skyscraper boom were Mohawk Indians.

I think you'd love living in New York. When I was there, I realized that it's just a really big collection of neighborhoods, which makes it much less daunting. And there's always someplace new you can explore -- in five years, I never ran out!

And it's quite livable with kids and pets. You'd be surprised at what New Yorkers have in their apartments.

Tiffany said...

Thanks Rubi, that's really cool info about the Empire State. And even cooler stuff about living in NYC - I read your comment to Spouse, who thinks that OBVIOUSLY we now have to move as soon as possible! I guess there's always the Green Card Lottery ...

That's Not My Age said...

My brother lives in NYC and every time I visit, I want to stay! Hope you're having a fab time. Don't forget the High Line!

Unknown said...

Hi Tiff:
It sounds like NYC is having the same energizing, enthralling effect on you that I experience every time I go there (OK, it's really only been three times). There's such an enterprising, can-do vibe, not to mention the fact that everything is writ large.
June and I have talked about spending a year there when the kids go off to college.
I don't know if you recall, but we had a Bashant family reunion in Upstate New York (the Adirondacks)a few years ago, a part of the state that's also spectacularly beautiful, in a very different way.
Enjoy the rest of your trip.