17 November 2010

Chinatown

Oh dear. Now I'm finally home, after a two-day detour to New Zealand for a family funeral, I can barely remember what we did with the rest of our time in New York ...

We did fail to get into the Guggenheim - we did get there (Andrew went via Queens, but that is another story), but it didn't occur to us that the only day of the week it closes would be a Thursday! So we strolled down to the Met instead. The exhibitions are just extraordinary but the place is overwhelmingly vast. It's possible I was a little museumed-out by then also.

On our last night we went to Bryant Park to have dinner and watch the ice-skaters - so corny, but so lovely.

And on our final day (Friday), we headed down to Chinatown, ate way too much (yum), bought me some gold hoop earrings (early birthday present) and then reluctantly headed out to the airport for our flight home.

When we got home, I had time to unpack, distribute gifts, repack, put on a load of laundry and pat the animals before heading back to the airport.

2 comments:

materfamilias said...

it sounds as if you had a wonderful visit, if exhausting and whirlwind. I have to admit that part of the reason we keep returning to Paris (and now London) is that, having covered most of the "must-sees," we're now free just to enjoy what we can with no pressure -- visiting new cities seems to carry responsibilities that I'm not always up for.
I felt the same way about the Met when we went -- but I'd love to make NY one of those cities I visit regularly enough that we could just pop in to see one room or one item -- as with the British Museum or the National Portrait Gallery. . .
I bet the kids were glad to have you home!

Tiffany said...

That's exactly how I feel - I'd like to be able to return with a less onerous schedule, to browse at my leisure rather than feeling I have to jam it all in. Sadly, living at the ends of the earth, a trip to the US or Europe can't be a regular thing for us, although we are planning to take the kids to Europe in 2012. And yes, the kids were very glad to have us home - almost as glad as I was to see them.