05 November 2010

The King of Comedy

Yesterday was a beautiful day, cold (for us) but sunny. We made the most of it by heading out to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. The view back to the Manhattan skyline from the Statue was amazing - I did take a photo but it was smoggy over the city, so it didn't look that great. Besides, so many amazing photographs have been taken of this city that one's own holiday happy snaps tend to look a bit lame, I think.


Once we got back it was mid-afternoon so we had a bit of a rest before heading out for a wander. We walked up to Union Square and caught the end of the Farmers' Market there - I plan to go again, earlier in the day next time. The fruit and veg looked fantastic and I saw fresh cranberries for the first time in my life. Unfortunately I didn't find any roasted chestnuts, but we drank hot apple cider (fantastic) and bought a blueberry pie for later.

We had an early dinner in a funky little place on Union Square called Republic and then had an early night. Tonight we'll go out properly and find some jazz or something.

Today I had my postponed yoga class with Martha Stewart's niece. It was great and she is absolutely lovely. I had to get the subway to Brooklyn but I didn't take into account that a Brooklyn block is bigger than a Manhattan block, and I had to walk about 15 blocks in the pouring rain. I was wet and cold but pleased that I'd made it when I got to the studio - and the class was great. Sophie was heading into town afterwards too, so we went via her apartment (GREAT apartment), where I got to meet her roommate and the roommate's dog. Then we caught the Q together and I got off at Times Square.

Andrew and I had lunch at Bryant Park, then wandered down to Grand Central, where we gawped, then strolled back to Times Square for a bit more gawping. It was fun.

We're back in our apartment now, where Andrew is reading all his race info (he picked it up this morning instead of coming to Brooklyn with me) and trying on combinations of clothing, not to go out anywhere, to run the race in. Hmmm.

Shopping thus far has been extremly understated - two umbrellas (!), a sweater and a woollen jacket for Andrew and one beige boyfriend cardigan for me, just to expand my uniform. I believe more shopping will occur tomorrow when we're Midtown around the Museums, tomorrow being designated Culture Day (followed by Sports Evening when we go and see the Knicks at Madison Square Garden). Oh, and I am also going to a free yoga class with Sophie, if I can fit it in.

Ok, I hate travel blogs/notes that are essentially a laundry list. And then I've gone and done one ... I guess it's just that feeling that if I don't write it all down, I'll forget!

So, things I love - the ethnic diversity, the great food stores, the buzz, the subway, the architecture, the mail boxes, Jalapeno Pringles (ok, so not a good habit, but hey), hot dogs, bagels, lox, pretzels, etc, the bookshops, the parks full of people, the steam from the subway vents. Things that bemuse me - the appalling coffee, everywhere, and being treated like a criminal at all points of entry and departure. I know the security is necessary, but it is not pleasant.

Anyway, I am now off to collect my laundry (perhaps the best thing about being on holidays is virtually NO HOUSEWORK) and buy socks.

And we've just booked to go to the Comedy Cellar tonight ... More boring detail to come tomorrow.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Tiff:
Sounds like you're having a pretty good time in NYC. If you get the chance, do try to walk (at least partly) across the Brooklyn Bridge, visit MOMA, eat at Zabars, and go to the Sheep Meadow in Central Park. You'll be glad you did.
Good luck to Andrew in the marathon.
Love to all,
Mark

materfamilias said...

Not boring at all! I'm following in your footsteps vicariously, wistfully . . .I really want to get back to that city and your itinerary so far would suit me just fine (maybe I'd take a pass on the yoga class, but I can imagine how great you felt that you'd made that happen, a more intimate experience with the city, for sure!)

Tiffany said...

Hi Mark - yes, we will definitely try to walk the Brooklyn, and Andrew gets to run it on Sunday ... We went to MOMA today, and have Central Park planned for Wednesday (once Andrew's mobile again post-race). Thanks for the tip re Zabars, it looks fantastic. And Andrew says thanks for your wishes!

Tiffany said...

Hi mater! Glad you're enjoying our itinerary ... Had a busy day today that I'll describe soon, but just heading out now to watch the Knicks. As for the yoga, it was really nice to have one-on-one time with a local, plus to get some much needed yoga bullying (sore today, which is a good sign) :)