14 June 2008

Like Water for Chocolate



See, the brownies got made. Phoebe and Finlay very helpfully licked the bowl and the utensils for me. Andrew sulked because he wasn't allowed to eat any of them. I did make the cranberry shortbread and the cheese biscuits too (that's quince paste waiting for them) but by the time that was all done (plus cooking a couple of meals in between) I had lost interest in taking photos.

This morning poor Miss Phoebe is sick, so she miserably trailed up to the cake stall with me but we didn't stay very long. Apparently someone bought all my quince paste after we left. Just as well I had set some aside for all the subscribers ...

It's cold today (for Sydney), so I think tonight I must cook something that takes hours and warms up the house. Andrew has his eye on a twice cooked veal shanks recipe that's in the SMH. I think a good old-fashioned steamed pudding for dessert might do the trick.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Can you send me the recipe for the cranberry shortbread one day? And how did you get/make the quince paste labels? I hope Ms Feeb has recovered by now. Good weekend to everyone!

Tiffany said...

The shortbread is a super-easy Martha one which is 250g butter, 1 cup icing sugar, beaten together. Add 2 cups plain flour and half a cup of dried cranberries (or anything else that takes your fancy). Roll into two logs, freeze, then slice (with serrated knife) and bake at 180 for about 10-12 minutes. As for the quince paste labels, I did them on the computer, printed out on normal paper, then ran them through Phoebe's sticker machine ...

Wendy said...

Thanks a lot for the recipe; Ill try it when I get home. Have just come back from a superb walk in the countryside with Helene, JF's sister. Truly a dream: 13th-century church; old farmhouses, stables, huge fields of wheat, birds singing everywhere and even a little sun.Off to London by eurostar in a few hours. luv to all.