04 June 2008

The Power and the Glory


Or neither. I realised about an hour ago that an electrical circuit in the house had blown. So I did all the usual things - turned off the power, disconnected everything, pulled out nasty dangerous old ceramic fuses at great risk to life and limb and checked the wire, called my friend Phil for advice, swore a bit, etc. Still nothing. Of course, it's not a circuit with WORK attached to it, just washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, fridge, microwave, oven ...

I rang the landlord, who would rather poke needles in his eye than ever spend a cent on this dump. Naturally he didn't believe that I had tried to isolate the problem, so we went through the WHOLE process again. Still no joy.

Apparently he's going to call an electrician. What's the bets that we end the day with a fridgeful of warm food, wet school uniforms in the dryer (yes, it's raining!) and a dishwasherful of dishes to handwash. Sigh.

No comments: