17 June 2008

Mrs Doubtfire


On Friday evening, midway through my baking fiesta, I got a phone call telling me about a job — a very good job that would pay quite a lot of money. It would also be a career sort of a job, and possibly quite fun. I thought about it for a while. I thought about the mad dash in the mornings, and never getting home before 7pm. I thought about Phoebe going to before and after school care five days a week, and Holden being a full-time latchkey kid. And I decided not to pursue it. Maybe I just lack ambition.

Andrew and I talked about it too, about how the only way we could do it would be to hire a housekeeper/nanny. I have to say that the thought of someone else doing ALL the house stuff was very attractive …

On the weekend, there was a funny incident involving Andrew making rude comments about a parent from Hol’s school being unable to drive his extremely flashy, extremely ugly Roller. Apparently the person in question is none other than Mr Payout, and his son is in Hol’s year.

No wonder Hol said he wouldn’t mind if we had a nicer car. So I told the kids about the possible job, like this - "We can have a less embarrassing car, maybe a better house, but you will never see me and you will be looked after by a nanny. What do you think?" They voted for me. Maybe they lack ambition too.

No comments: